Object of the month – The seal of the Faculty of Law, 1848
The university's coming under state supervision gave Maria Teresa the opportunity to review the issue of the coat of arms used on the university's seals and redesign them using the motifs of the Hungarian state coat of arms. In 1778, he therefore ordered the use of new seals for all organizational units of the university. These seal images, which were also used as coats of arms, were confirmed in the Diploma Inaugurale issued in 1780. The coats of arms were in force until 1948, but their inscriptions changed from time to time, for example in 1848 the faculties were named in Hungarian instead of Latin.
Excerpt from the exhibition Book, robe, science – Symbols from the history of Eötvös Loránd University.